Bernadette Biondi, M.D., and David S. Cooper, M.D.
From the Department of Clinical Medicine and Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy (B.B.); and the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore (D.S.C.). Address reprint requests to Dr. Cooper at the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 1830 E. Monument St., Suite 333, Baltimore, MD 21287, or at email@example.com.
1. Cooper DS, Biondi B. Subclinical thyroid disease. Lancet 2012;379:1142-1154.
2. Carlé A, Andersen SL, Boelaert K, Laurberg P. Management of endocrine disease — subclinical thyrotoxicosis: prevalence, causes and choice of therapy. Eur J Endocrinol 2017;176:R325-R337.
3. Biondi B, Bartalena L, Cooper DS, Hegedüs L, Laurberg P, Kahaly GJ. The 2015 European Thyroid Association guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. Eur Thyroid J 2015;4:149-163.
4. Ross DS, Burch HB, Cooper DS, et al. 2016 American Thyroid Association guidelines for diagnosis and management of hyperthyroidism and other causes of thyrotoxicosis. Thyroid 2016;26:1343-1421.
5. Biondi B, Cooper DS. The clinical significance of subclinical thyroid dysfunction. Endocr Rev 2008;29:76-131.
6. Biondi B, Cooper DS. Benefits of thyrotropin suppression versus the risks of adverse effects in differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2010;20:135-146.
7. Jonklaas J, Davidson B, Bhagat S, Soldin SJ. Triiodothyronine levels in athyreotic individuals during levothyroxine therapy. JAMA 2008;299:769-777.
8. Chaker L, Baumgartner C, den Elzen WP, et al. Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of stroke events and fatal stroke: an individual participant data analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100:2181-2191.
9. Vadiveloo T, Donnan PT, Cochrane L, Leese GP. The Thyroid Epidemiology, Audit, and Research Study (TEARS): morbidity in patients with endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011;96:1344-1351.
10. Selmer C, Olesen JB, Hansen ML, et al. The spectrum of thyroid disease and risk of new onset atrial fibrillation: a large population cohort study. BMJ 2012;345:e7895-e7895.
11. Selmer C, Olesen JB, Hansen ML, et al. Subclinical and overt thyroid dysfunction and risk of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events: a large population study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014;99:2372-2382.
12. Cappola AR, Fried LP, Arnold AM, et al. Thyroid status, cardiovascular risk, and mortality in older adults. JAMA 2006;295:1033-1041.
13. Collet TH, Gussekloo J, Bauer DC, et al. Subclinical hyperthyroidism and the risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:799-809.
14. Gencer B, Collet TH, Virgini V, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of heart failure events: an individual participant data analysis from 6 prospective cohorts. Circulation 2012;126:1040-1049.
15. Yan Z, Huang H, Li J, Wang J. Relationship between subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of fracture: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Osteoporos Int 2016;27:115-125.
16. Blum MR, Bauer DC, Collet TH, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and fracture risk: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2015;313:2055-2065.
17. Yang R, Yao L, Fang Y, et al. The relationship between subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of fracture or low bone mineral density: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Bone Miner Metab 2018;36:209-220.
18. Rieben C, Segna D, da Costa BR, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of cognitive decline: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016;101:4945-4954.
19. Aubert CE, Bauer DC, da Costa BR, et al. The association between subclinical thyroid dysfunction and dementia: the Health, Aging and Body Composition (Health ABC) Study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2017;87:617-626.
20. Das G, Ojewuyi TA, Baglioni P, Geen J, Premawardhana LD, Okosieme OE. Serum thyrotrophin at baseline predicts the natural course of subclinical hyperthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2012;77:146-151.
21. Díez JJ, Iglesias P. An analysis of the natural course of subclinical hyperthyroidism. Am J Med Sci 2009;337:225-232.
22. Díez JJ, Iglesias P. Predictors of outcome in patients with endogenous subclinical thyrotoxicosis. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011;75:142-143.
23. Vadiveloo T, Donnan PT, Cochrane L, Leese GP. The Thyroid Epidemiology, Audit, and Research Study (TEARS): the natural history of endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011;96(1):E1-8.
24. Rhee CM, Bhan I, Alexander EK, Brunelli SM. Association between iodinated contrast media exposure and incident hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:153-159.
25. Nolte MR, Muller R, Siggelkow H, Emrich D, Hufner M. Prophylactic application of thyrostatic drugs during excessive iodine exposure in euthyroid patients with thyroid autonomy: a randomized study. Eur J Endocrinol 1996;134:337-341.
26. Biondi B, Palmieri EA, Fazio S, et al. Endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism affects quality of life and cardiac morphology and function in young and middle-aged patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:4701-4705.
27. Sgarbi JA, Villaça FG, Garbeline B, Villar HE, Romaldini JH. The effects of early antithyroid therapy for endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism in clinical and heart abnormalities. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1672-1677.
28. Yang LB, Jiang DQ, Qi WB, et al. Subclinical hyperthyroidism and the risk of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality: an updated meta-analysis of cohort studies. Eur J Endocrinol 2012;167:75-84.
29. Flynn RW, Bonellie SR, Jung RT, MacDonald TM, Morris AD, Leese GP. Serum thyroid-stimulating hormone concentration and morbidity from cardiovascular disease and fractures in patients on long-term thyroxine therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;95:186-193.
30. Klein Hesselink EN, Klein Hesselink MS, de Bock GH, et al. Long-term cardiovascular mortality in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: an observational study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:4046-4053.
31. Virgini VS, Rodondi N, Cawthon PM, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and frailty among older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100:4524-4532.
32. Gan EH, Pearce SH. Clinical review — the thyroid in mind: cognitive function and low thyrotropin in older people. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97:3438-3449.
33. Rosario PW, Carvalho M, Calsolari MR. Symptoms of thyrotoxicosis, bone metabolism and occult atrial fibrillation in older women with mild endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2016;85:132-136.
34. Meyerovitch J, Rotman-Pikielny P, Sherf M, Battat E, Levy Y, Surks MI. Serum thyrotropin measurements in the community: five-year follow-up in a large network of primary care physicians. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1533-1538.
35. Kaminski G, Michalkiewicz D, Makowski K, et al. Prospective echocardiographic evaluation of patients with endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism and after restoring euthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011;74:501-507.
36. Kaminski G, Dziuk M, Szczepanek-Parulska E, Zybek-Kocik A, Ruchala M. Electrocardiographic and scintigraphic evaluation of patients with subclinical hyperthyroidism during workout. Endocrine 2016;53:512-519.
37. Faber J, Wiinberg N, Schifter S, Mehlsen J. Haemodynamic changes following treatment of subclinical and overt hyperthyroidism. Eur J Endocrinol 2001;145:391-396.
38. Biondi B, Fazio S, Carella C, et al. Control of adrenergic overactivity by beta-blockade improves the quality of life in patients receiving long term suppressive therapy with levothyroxine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994;78:1028-1033.
39. Mudde AH, Houben AJ, Nieuwenhuijzen Kruseman AC. Bone metabolism during anti-thyroid drug treatment of endogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1994;41:421-424.
40. Faber J, Jensen IW, Petersen L, Nygaard B, Hegedüs L, Siersbaek-Nielsen K. Normalization of serum thyrotrophin by means of radioiodine treatment in subclinical hyperthyroidism: effect on bone loss in postmenopausal women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1998;48:285-290.
41. Yönem O, Dökmetaş HS, Aslan SM, Erselcan T. Is antithyroid treatment really relevant for young patients with subclinical hyperthyroidism? Endocr J 2002;49:307-314.
42. Cooper DS. Antithyroid drugs. N Engl J Med 2005;352:905-917.
43. Burch HB, Cooper DS. Management of Graves disease: a review. JAMA 2015;314:2544-2554.
44. Rugge JB, Bougatsos C, Chou R. Screening and treatment of thyroid dysfunction: an evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2015;162:35-45.