Kathleen M. Neuzil, M.D., M.P.H.
From the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore.
1. Science Brief: emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2021 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/scientific-brief-emerging-variants.html. opens in new tab).
2. Tegally H, Wilkinson E, Giovanetti M, et al. Emergence of a SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern with mutations in spike glycoprotein. Nature 2021 March 9 (Epub ahead of print).
3. Wang P, Nair MS, Liu L, et al. Antibody resistance of SARS-CoV-2 variants B.1.351 and B.1.1.7. February 12, 2021 (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.25.428137v3. opens in new tab). preprint.
4. Zhou D, Dejnirattisai W, Supasa P, et al. Evidence of escape of SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.351 from natural and vaccine-induced sera. Cell 2021 February 23 (Epub ahead of print).
5. Madhi SA, Baillie V, Cutland CL, et al. Efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Covid-19 vaccine against the B.1.351 variant. N Engl J Med 2021;384:1885-1898.
6. Shinde V, Bhikha S, Hoosain Z, et al. Efficacy of NVX-CoV2373 Covid-19 vaccine against the B.1.351 variant. N Engl J Med 2021;384:1899-1909.
7. Rapaka RR, Hammershaimb EA, Neuzil KM. Are some COVID vaccines better than others? Interpreting and comparing estimates of efficacy in trials of COVID-19 vaccines. Clin Infect Dis 2021 March 6 (Epub ahead of print).
8. Voysey M, Clemens SAC, Madhi SA, et al. Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: an interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK. Lancet 2021;397:99-111.
9. European Medicines Agency. AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine: EMA finds possible link to very rare cases of unusual blood clots with low blood platelets. 2021 (https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-ema-finds-possible-link-very-rare-cases-unusual-blood-clots-low-blood. opens in new tab).
10. Novavax and Takeda finalize license agreement for Novavax’ COVID-19 vaccine candidate in Japan, Takeda initiates phase 1/2 trial in Japan. Novavax. February 26, 2021 (https://ir.novavax.com/node/15611/pdf. opens in new tab).
11. Sadoff J, Gray G, Vandebosch A, et al. Safety and efficacy of single-dose Ad26.COV2.S vaccine against Covid-19. N Engl J Med. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2101544.
12. Pfizer and BioNTech confirm high efficacy and no serious safety concerns through up to six months following second dose in updated topline analysis of landmark COVID-19 vaccine study. Pfizer, New York, April 1, 2021 (https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious. opens in new tab) (press release).
13. Ortiz JR, Robertson J, Hsu JS, et al. The potential effects of deploying SARS-CoV-2 vaccines on cold storage capacity and immunization workload in countries of the WHO African Region. Vaccine 2021;39:2165-2176.