Jeremy W. Cannon, M.D.
From the Division of Traumatology, Surgical Critical Care, and Emergency Surgery, Department of Surgery, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and the F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD. Address reprint requests to Dr. Cannon at the Division of Traumatology, Surgical Critical Care, and Emergency Surgery, 51 N. 39th St., Medical Office Bldg. 120, Philadelphia, PA 19104, or at email@example.com.
1. Mannucci PM, Levi M. Prevention and treatment of major blood loss. N Engl J Med 2007;356:2301-2311.
2. Hunt BJ. Bleeding and coagulopathies in critical care. N Engl J Med 2014;370:847-859.
3. Halmin M, Chiesa F, Vasan SK, et al. Epidemiology of massive transfusion: a binational study from Sweden and Denmark. Crit Care Med 2016;44:468-477.
4. Ruseckaite R, McQuilten ZK, Oldroyd JC, et al. Descriptive characteristics and in-hospital mortality of critically bleeding patients requiring massive transfusion: results from the Australian and New Zealand Massive Transfusion Registry. Vox Sang 2017;112:240-248.
5. Lozano R, Naghavi M, Foreman K, et al. Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012;380:2095-2128.
6. Christensen S, Riis A, Nørgaard M, Sørensen HT, Thomsen RW. Short-term mortality after perforated or bleeding peptic ulcer among elderly patients: a population-based cohort study. BMC Geriatr 2007;7:8-8.
7. Kauvar DS, Lefering R, Wade CE. Impact of hemorrhage on trauma outcome: an overview of epidemiology, clinical presentations, and therapeutic considerations. J Trauma 2006;60:S3-11.
8. Mitra B, Gabbe BJ, Kaukonen K-M, Olaussen A, Cooper DJ, Cameron PA. Long-term outcomes of patients receiving a massive transfusion after trauma. Shock 2014;42:307-312.
9. Maier RV. Scudder oration on trauma: a century of evolution in trauma resuscitation. J Am Coll Surg 2014;219:335-345.
10. Barbee RW, Reynolds PS, Ward KR. Assessing shock resuscitation strategies by oxygen debt repayment. Shock 2010;33:113-122.
11. Chaudry IH. Cellular mechanisms in shock and ischemia and their correction. Am J Physiol 1983;245:R117-R134.
12. Zhang Q, Raoof M, Chen Y, et al. Circulating mitochondrial DAMPs cause inflammatory responses to injury. Nature 2010;464:104-107.
13. Tisherman SA, Alam HB, Rhee PM, et al. Development of the Emergency Preservation and Resuscitation for Cardiac Arrest from Trauma clinical trial. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017;83:803-809.
14. White NJ, Ward KR, Pati S, Strandenes G, Cap AP. Hemorrhagic blood failure: oxygen debt, coagulopathy, and endothelial damage. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017;82:Suppl 1:S41-S49.
15. Johansson PI, Henriksen HH, Stensballe J, et al. Traumatic endotheliopathy: a prospective observational study of 424 severely injured patients. Ann Surg 2017;265:597-603.
16. Hoffman M, Cichon LJH. Practical coagulation for the blood banker. Transfusion 2013;53:1594-1602.
17. Chang R, Cardenas JC, Wade CE, Holcomb JB. Advances in the understanding of trauma-induced coagulopathy. Blood 2016;128:1043-1049.
18. Moore HB, Moore EE, Liras IN, et al. Acute fibrinolysis shutdown after injury occurs frequently and increases mortality: a multicenter evaluation of 2,540 severely injured patients. J Am Coll Surg 2016;222:347-355.
19. Brown LM, Call MS, Margaret Knudson M, et al. A normal platelet count may not be enough: the impact of admission platelet count on mortality and transfusion in severely injured trauma patients. J Trauma 2011;71:Suppl 3:S337-S342.
20. Kutcher ME, Redick BJ, McCreery RC, et al. Characterization of platelet dysfunction after trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012;73:13-19.
21. Wohlauer MV, Moore EE, Thomas S, et al. Early platelet dysfunction: an unrecognized role in the acute coagulopathy of trauma. J Am Coll Surg 2012;214:739-746.
22. Spann AP, Campbell JE, Fitzgibbon SR, et al. The effect of hematocrit on platelet adhesion: experiments and simulations. Biophys J 2016;111:577-588.
23. Maegele M, Schöchl H, Cohen MJ. An update on the coagulopathy of trauma. Shock 2014;41:Suppl 1:21-25.
24. Sihler KC, Napolitano LM. Complications of massive transfusion. Chest 2010;137:209-220.
25. Cosgriff N, Moore EE, Sauaia A, Kenny-Moynihan M, Burch JM, Galloway B. Predicting life-threatening coagulopathy in the massively transfused trauma patient: hypothermia and acidoses revisited. J Trauma 1997;42:857-861.
26. Tompkins RG. Genomics of injury: the Glue Grant experience. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015;78:671-686.
27. Tisherman SA, Schmicker RH, Brasel KJ, et al. Detailed description of all deaths in both the shock and traumatic brain injury hypertonic saline trials of the Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium. Ann Surg 2015;261:586-590.
28. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. A national trauma care system: integrating military and civilian trauma systems to achieve zero preventable deaths after injury. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2016.
29. Schroll R, Smith A, McSwain NE Jr, et al. A multi-institutional analysis of prehospital tourniquet use. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015;79:10-14.
30. Kragh JF Jr, Walters TJ, Baer DG, et al. Survival with emergency tourniquet use to stop bleeding in major limb trauma. Ann Surg 2009;249:1-7.
31. American College of Surgeons Stop the Bleed campaign. 2017 (http://www.bleedingcontrol.org/).
32. Singletary EM, Charlton NP, Epstein JL, et al. Part 15: first aid: 2015 American Heart Association and American Red Cross guidelines update for first aid. Circulation 2015;132:Suppl 2:S574-S589.
33. Bulger EM, Snyder D, Schoelles K, et al. An evidence-based prehospital guideline for external hemorrhage control: American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. Prehosp Emerg Care 2014;18:163-173.
34. Achneck HE, Sileshi B, Jamiolkowski RM, Albala DM, Shapiro ML, Lawson JH. A comprehensive review of topical hemostatic agents: efficacy and recommendations for use. Ann Surg 2010;251:217-228.
35. Bickell WH, Wall MJ Jr, Pepe PE, et al. Immediate versus delayed fluid resuscitation for hypotensive patients with penetrating torso injuries. N Engl J Med 1994;331:1105-1109.
36. Bulger EM, May S, Kerby JD, et al. Out-of-hospital hypertonic resuscitation after traumatic hypovolemic shock: a randomized, placebo controlled trial. Ann Surg 2011;253:431-441.
37. Roberts I, Blackhall K, Alderson P, Bunn F, Schierhout G. Human albumin solution for resuscitation and volume expansion in critically ill patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;11:CD001208-CD001208.
38. Shackelford SA, Del Junco DJ, Powell-Dunford N, et al. Association of prehospital blood product transfusion during medical evacuation of combat casualties in Afghanistan with acute and 30-day survival. JAMA 2017;318:1581-1591.
39. Cotton BA, Jerome R, Collier BR, et al. Guidelines for prehospital fluid resuscitation in the injured patient. J Trauma 2009;67:389-402.
40. Kotwal RS, Howard JT, Orman JA, et al. The effect of a golden hour policy on the morbidity and mortality of combat casualties. JAMA Surg 2016;151:15-24.
41. Wandling MW, Nathens AB, Shapiro MB, Haut ER. Police transport versus ground EMS: a trauma system-level evaluation of prehospital care policies and their effect on clinical outcomes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:931-935.
42. American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) student course manual. 9th ed. Chicago: American College of Surgeons, 2012:69.
43. Nadler R, Convertino VA, Gendler S, et al. The value of noninvasive measurement of the compensatory reserve index in monitoring and triage of patients experiencing minimal blood loss. Shock 2014;42:93-98.
44. Hutchings S, Naumann DN, Harris T, Wendon J, Midwinter MJ. Observational study of the effects of traumatic injury, haemorrhagic shock and resuscitation on the microcirculation: a protocol for the MICROSHOCK study. BMJ Open 2016;6:e010893-e010893.
45. Rozycki GS, Ballard RB, Feliciano DV, Schmidt JA, Pennington SD. Surgeon-performed ultrasound for the assessment of truncal injuries: lessons learned from 1540 patients. Ann Surg 1998;228:557-567.
46. Shokoohi H, Boniface KS, Pourmand A, et al. Bedside ultrasound reduces diagnostic uncertainty and guides resuscitation in patients with undifferentiated hypotension. Crit Care Med 2015;43:2562-2569.
47. Callcut RA, Cotton BA, Muskat P, et al. Defining when to initiate massive transfusion: a validation study of individual massive transfusion triggers in PROMMTT patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2013;74:59-65.
48. MacKay EJ, Stubna MD, Holena DN, et al. Abnormal calcium levels during trauma resuscitation are associated with increased mortality, increased blood product use, and greater hospital resource consumption: a pilot investigation. Anesth Analg 2017;125:895-901.
49. Gonzalez E, Moore EE, Moore HB, et al. Goal-directed hemostatic resuscitation of trauma-induced coagulopathy: a pragmatic randomized clinical trial comparing a viscoelastic assay to conventional coagulation assays. Ann Surg 2016;263:1051-1059.
50. Chovanes J, Cannon JW, Nunez TC. The evolution of damage control surgery. Surg Clin North Am 2012;92:859-875.
51. Duchesne JC, McSwain NE Jr, Cotton BA, et al. Damage control resuscitation: the new face of damage control. J Trauma 2010;69:976-990.
52. Cannon JW, Khan MA, Raja AS, et al. Damage control resuscitation in patients with severe traumatic hemorrhage: a practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017;82:605-617.
53. Spinella PC, Cap AP. Whole blood: back to the future. Curr Opin Hematol 2016;23:536-542.
54. Meyer DE, Vincent LE, Fox EE, et al. Every minute counts: time to delivery of initial massive transfusion cooler and its impact on mortality. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017;83:19-24.
55. Holcomb JB, del Junco DJ, Fox EE, et al. The Prospective, Observational, Multicenter, Major Trauma Transfusion (PROMMTT) study: comparative effectiveness of a time-varying treatment with competing risks. JAMA Surg 2013;148:127-136.
56. Holcomb JB, Tilley BC, Baraniuk S, et al. Transfusion of plasma, platelets, and red blood cells in a 1:1:1 vs a 1:1:2 ratio and mortality in patients with severe trauma: the PROPPR randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2015;313:471-482.
57. Etchill EW, Myers SP, McDaniel LM, et al. Should all massively transfused patients be treated equally? An analysis of massive transfusion ratios in the nontrauma setting. Crit Care Med 2017;45:1311-1316.
58. Spahn DR, Bouillon B, Cerny V, et al. Management of bleeding and coagulopathy following major trauma: an updated European guideline. Crit Care 2013;17:R76-R76.
59. Shafi S, Collinsworth AW, Richter KM, et al. Bundles of care for resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock and severe brain injury in trauma patients — translating knowledge into practice. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:780-794.
60. Schöchl H, Schlimp CJ. Trauma bleeding management: the concept of goal-directed primary care. Anesth Analg 2014;119:1064-1073.
61. Cohn SM, McCarthy J, Stewart RM, Jonas RB, Dent DL, Michalek JE. Impact of low-dose vasopressin on trauma outcome: prospective randomized study. World J Surg 2011;35:430-439.
62. Tesoriero RB, Bruns BR, Narayan M, et al. Angiographic embolization for hemorrhage following pelvic fracture: is it “time” for a paradigm shift? J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017;82:18-26.
63. Salhab M, Farmer J, Osman I. Impact of delay on survival in patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. Vascular 2006;14:38-42.
64. Laine L, Laursen SB, Dalton HR, Ngu JH, Schultz M, Stanley AJ. Relationship of time to presentation after onset of upper GI bleeding with patient characteristics and outcomes: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2017;86:1028-1037.
65. Meizoso JP, Ray JJ, Karcutskie CA IV, et al. Effect of time to operation on mortality for hypotensive patients with gunshot wounds to the torso: the golden 10 minutes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:685-691.
66. Hirshberg A, Wall MJ Jr, Allen MK, Mattox KL. Double jeopardy: thoracoabdominal injuries requiring surgical intervention in both chest and abdomen. J Trauma 1995;39:225-229.
67. Morrison JJ, Galgon RE, Jansen JO, Cannon JW, Rasmussen TE, Eliason JL. A systematic review of the use of resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta in the management of hemorrhagic shock. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;80:324-334.
68. Raux M, Marzelle J, Kobeiter H, et al. Endovascular balloon occlusion is associated with reduced intraoperative mortality of unstable patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm but fails to improve other outcomes. J Vasc Surg 2015;61:304-308.
69. DuBose JJ, Scalea TM, Brenner M, et al. The AAST prospective Aortic Occlusion for Resuscitation in Trauma and Acute Care Surgery (AORTA) registry: data on contemporary utilization and outcomes of aortic occlusion and resuscitative balloon occlusion of the aorta (REBOA). J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:409-419.
70. Laine L. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to a peptic ulcer. N Engl J Med 2016;374:2367-2376.
71. Gralnek IM, Neeman Z, Strate LL. Acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding. N Engl J Med 2017;376:1054-1063.
72. Carson JL, Triulzi DJ, Ness PM. Indications for and adverse effects of red-cell transfusion. N Engl J Med 2017;377:1261-1272.
73. Rasmussen TE, Kellermann AL. Wartime lessons — shaping a national trauma action plan. N Engl J Med 2016;375:1612-1615.
74. Jenkins DH, Rappold JF, Badloe JF, et al. Trauma hemostasis and oxygenation research position paper on remote damage control resuscitation: definitions, current practice, and knowledge gaps. Shock 2014;41:Suppl 1:3-12.
75. Norton R, Kobusingye O. Injuries. N Engl J Med 2013;368:1723-1730.
76. Champion HR, Lombardo LV, Wade CE, Kalin EJ, Lawnick MM, Holcomb JB. Time and place of death from automobile crashes: research endpoint implications. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:420-426.
77. Russo RM, Neff LP, Lamb CM, et al. Partial resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta in swine model of hemorrhagic shock. J Am Coll Surg 2016;223:359-368.
78. Yazer MH, Jackson B, Sperry JL, Alarcon L, Triulzi DJ, Murdock AD. Initial safety and feasibility of cold-stored uncrossmatched whole blood transfusion in civilian trauma patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016;81:21-26.
79. Pusateri AE, Given MB, Schreiber MA, et al. Dried plasma: state of the science and recent developments. Transfusion 2016;56:Suppl 2:S128-S139.